Answer the following questions in full sentences (either handwritten or typed is fine). Your answers should be 4-6 sentences, depending on the question. Include page numbers in your responses so that you can refer back to the reading during the discussion or when asking questions.
Questions for Foucault (1978), Discipline and Punish, pages 3-31, 195-228:
1. According to Foucault (1978), what are the two ways that punishment changed since the eighteenth century?
2. How are power and knowledge related? (Hint: look for the answer in both chapters).
3. What is Bentham’s Panopticon? What are its effects on prisoners? (Hint: this is about the structure of prisons).
4. How can the panopticon be applied to other contexts (besides prisons)?
5. Interpret the following quote: “The movement from…a schema of exceptional discipline to one of generalized surveillance, rests on a historical transformation: the gradual extension of the mechanisms of discipline throughout the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, their spread throughout the whole social body, the formation of what might be called in general the disciplinary society” (Foucault 1978, p. 209)
6. How was the growth of the disciplinary society (which we live in today) linked to the historical development of states and capitalism?
7. What is an example of disciplinary mechanisms (or the panopticon more specifically) in your own life or 21st-century societies? How is it an example?
“Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!”
What Students Are Saying About Us.......... Customer ID: 12*** | Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Honestly, I was afraid to send my paper to you, but splendidwritings.com proved they are a trustworthy service. My essay was done in less than a day, and I received a brilliant piece. I didn’t even believe it was my essay at first 🙂 Great job, thank you!"
.......... Customer ID: 14***| Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"The company has some nice prices and good content. I ordered a term paper here and got a very good one. I'll keep ordering from this website."