The Final Draft will require 5-7 pages, in addition to a works cited page.
Write an essay in which you compare and contrast the play Oedipus Rex by Sophocles with the play Trifles by Susan Glaspell. You should focus on 3 or more of the following elements in your essay: theme, character, setting, dialogue, stage directions, plot, and structure. Please consider 1 or more of the following questions in your essay:
- How is Oedipus Rex an example of ancient Greek drama, and how is Trifles an example of modern drama? Ancient Greek drama is often characterized by a ritualistic tone. The presence of a chorus is an example of this tone.
- Is Susan Glaspell’s Trifles an example of a feminist play? In a feminist story or play, the female characters typically struggle to assert their rights in a society dominated by men.
- The title character in Sophoclesâ€™ play Oedipus Rex is often referred to as a tragic hero. A tragic hero or heroine begins the play as a well-loved person of stature, but that stature disappears, because of a tragic set of circumstances that (a) is foretold, (b) is inevitable, and (c) is brought about by the heroâ€™s or heroine’s own actions. Compare and contrast Oedipus, Creon, or another character from Oedipus Rex with Minnie Foster or another character from Trifles. Is Minnie a tragic heroine? Is Minnieâ€™s tragic circumstance (being arrested for and possibly convicted of murder after killing her husband) foretold, inevitable, and brought about by her own actions, like Oedipusâ€™s circumstance?
The final draft of your essay should be 5 to 7 double-spaced pages (and 1,200 to 1,500 words) in length, plus a works cited page. Your essay should have a title as well as a thesis statement. You must support each of your claims with quotations from the play(s) you choose to write about. After answering the above questions as part of the prewriting process, develop a Thesis Statement.
Please consult the sample essay on drama in our literature book (in the chapter entitled â€œWriting about Playsâ€) for help on formatting in-text citations for plays (such as Oedipus Rex) that are divided into acts and scenes. Please study the sample works cited page below. Relax and have fun with this assignment!
- Use prewriting techniques to generate ideas (based on the guidelines in this prompt),
- Write a final draft in which you analyze your chosen theme using quotations from the two plays.
- Title and save your final draft to a desktop or laptop computer,
- Click Submit Assignment on the top right to upload your assignment,
- Click Choose File to upload your file submission,
- Click Submit Assignment to submit.
Sample Works Cited Page
Your final draft must have a works cited page that lists each literary piece you use as a source. Please see below for a sample works cited list:
Glaspell, Susan. Trifles. Literature: A Portable Anthology. Ed. Janet E. Gardner, et al. 4th ed. Bedford, 2016. pp. 909-920.
Sophocles. Oedipus Rex. Literature: A Portable Anthology. Ed. Janet E. Gardner, et al. 4th ed. Bedford, 2016. pp. 707-750.
Please submit your assignment by uploading a Microsoft Word Document (.doc or .docx file extension) or a PDF file. You may also upload a Google Docs file.
What Students Are Saying About Us.......... Customer ID: 12*** | Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Honestly, I was afraid to send my paper to you, but splendidwritings.com proved they are a trustworthy service. My essay was done in less than a day, and I received a brilliant piece. I didn’t even believe it was my essay at first 🙂 Great job, thank you!"
.......... Customer ID: 14***| Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"The company has some nice prices and good content. I ordered a term paper here and got a very good one. I'll keep ordering from this website."