exam: 015056RR – Structural Design, Part 2
1. Your inspection report does not need to include information on
A. condition of solar heating system equipment.
B. adequacy and condition of flashing.
C. steepness of roof pitch.
D. type and condition of gutters and downspouts.
2. A good place to begin an interior structure inspection is the
C. plumbing system.
3. A horizontal supporting member placed between two opposite rafters is called a
A. jack rafter.
B. collar tie.
4. To be properly vented, the foundation should have one vent for every _______ square feet of floor
5. ASHI standards require a home inspector to identify and describe the type of structure and materials of
A. reporting remaining usefulness.
B. testing systems scientifically.
C. establishing value.
D. evaluating each system.
6. A load-bearing horizontal component over a wall opening is called a
A. wall joist.
D. sill plate.
7. Sagging in floor joists is typically caused by
A. oversized joists.
B. improper nailing of sub-flooring.
C. undersized joists.
D. improper moisture content of the wood.
8. While inspecting a masonry foundation, you find evidence of “efflorescence.” This is
probably due to
A. water seepage.
C. too much lime in the concrete.
D. leftover residue from construction.
9. Which one of the following statements about dehumidifiers is true?
A. Dehumidifiers automatically dispose of water produced by their operation.
B. Dehumidifiers are the best method for fail-safe moisture control in basements.
C. Dehumidifiers should have automatic shutoff devices to prevent overflow.
D. Dehumidifiers are usually found in the attic.
10. The slope of a roof is
A. determined by measuring the total height of the building.
B. the length of a rafter from the top plate to the ridge.
C. the ratio between the units of run and units of rise of a roof.
D. generally expressed as a percent.
11. One improper construction method that can result in structural weakness is
A. construction of artificial terraces using debris and backfill.
B. grading soil to direct runoff away from the structure.
C. the use of kiln-dried lumber in structural components.
D. retention of topsoil and trees on the home site.
12. The primary horizontal load-bearing component in a floor frame is the
A. beam or girder.
B. jack stud.
C. sill plate.
D. brick pier.
13. Stairs are considered hazardous when
A. risers are less than 73/4 inches high.
B. the height of the risers varies by more than 3/8 inch.
C. they’re covered with carpeting.
D. the width of the treads does not strictly comply with codes.
14. The structural technique that includes long vertical studs running from the sill plate to the second floor roof frame is called _______ framing.
15. Structural failure in a roof may be due to
A. too little span between supporting members.
B. cuts made in rafters or trusses for addition of components such as stairways and fans.
C. the presence of a vapor barrier between the attic floor and the ceiling below.
D. use of dried wood for structural members.
16. Two common cosmetic flaws in gypsum wallboard include popping nails and
A. termite cavities.
B. sagging ceilings.
C. header cracks.
D. brown water stains.
17. Brick ties in brick veneer walls allow for
B. water drainage.
D. air circulation.
18. The term live load refers to the
A. total weight of the entire structure.
B. weight of the structural components only.
C. weight of the occupants and furnishings.
D. weight of the foundation walls.
19. Bulging of exterior walls usually results in
A. settling of corner posts.
B. sagging of the ridge board.
C. a rise in the main floor beam.
D. sagging of windows.
20. Choose the statement about surface mold and sapstain fungi that’s true.
A. They don’t cause structural damage.
B. They exist only in very dry conditions.
C. They’re the most common cause of wood decay.
D. They cause a burned or charred appearance on wood surfaces.
What Students Are Saying About Us.......... Customer ID: 12*** | Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Honestly, I was afraid to send my paper to you, but splendidwritings.com proved they are a trustworthy service. My essay was done in less than a day, and I received a brilliant piece. I didn’t even believe it was my essay at first 🙂 Great job, thank you!"
.......... Customer ID: 14***| Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"The company has some nice prices and good content. I ordered a term paper here and got a very good one. I'll keep ordering from this website."