Multiple demographic changes within the American labor force are impacting employee-employer relationships and cultures within companies. Planning to meet workforce demands requires both a labor market analysis and statistical information.
The following is one way to estimate the number of sales representatives needed next year:
- If the current number of sales representatives is 300, and the expected sales increase is 15 percent, then 300*.15 = 45 additional sales representatives, or a total of 345 are needed.
- If you factor in the estimated number of current sales representatives retiring (5 reps) and the estimated voluntary turnover rate (300*.10 = 30 reps), then you can add together 45 + 5 + 30 to estimate 80 total sales representatives.
- However, if 80 sales representatives go through the training, and 5 percent do not complete it, then an additional 4 sales representatives will need to be hired (80*.05 = 4).
- The total number of new sales representatives to hire is 84 (80 = 4).
Note: There are several places where you can do your estimations, and by using different assumptions you could produce slightly different results; however, the number of sales representatives to be hired should be very close to this example. Use this approach in this assessment.
Note: Complete the assessments in this course in the order in which they are presented, beginning with Assessment 1.
To prepare for this assessment, complete the following:
- Arthur, D. (2012). Recruiting, interviewing, selecting, and orienting new employees (5th ed.). AMACOM.
- Read Chapters 1â€“2.
- Fortune.com. (n.d.). 100 best companies to work for. http://fortune.com/best-companies/search/
- Browse this resource.
- Read the scenario below.
CapraTek, a fictitious technology company, has a long history as a leader in the design and manufacture of computer server components and continues to provide innovative solutions to industry needs. They are currently leveraging this culture of innovation to expand into emerging wireless technologies. As part of that diversification, CapraTek is developing advanced smart-home technology.
Last month, CapraTek announced that it will begin developing a wireless system providing seamless integration of newer home electronics and appliances capable of being controlled electronically. Security, heating and cooling, lights, locks, telephone, home entertainment, computers, and gaming devices all controlled through a single wireless device and a simple Web-based interfaceâ€””It’s better than a butler, it’s Alfred!” Alfred! will be produced in a new manufacturing facility currently in the planning phase. Groundbreaking on the new facility is planned within the next six months with full operations to be accomplished in three phases over the next two years. Distribution of the Alfred! device and components will be through existing distributors and retail outlets.
As part of the human resources team, you have been asked to support locating and staffing this new manufacturing facility in order to meet CapraTek’s strategic growth needs. The plan is for Phase 1 to be needed in one year and Phases 2 and 3 at one-year intervals after that. Here is some data you have uncovered when looking at similar CapraTek facilities opened within the past five years:
- Phase 1 = 140 production employees.
- Phase 2 = An additional 80 production employees.
- Phase 3 = An additional 120 production employees.
CapraTek’s facilities management has informed you that the initial training will take place on-site, and staff from other CapraTek locations will conduct the training over approximately a six-week period. Past experiences suggest that only one in five employees interviewed will be both qualified and willing to accept the job, and 20 percent of those hired will not complete the training.
Select one of the United States to analyze as a possible location that will support CapraTek’s hiring projections for the new facility. (Normally, this duty is not an HR function.) Using the described CapraTek hiring scenario, write a 2â€“3 page memo to CapraTek’s VP of operations in which you include the following:
- Identify the number of production employees to recruit and hire for CapraTek. Note: This is to include the number of applicants needed to meet Phases 1, 2, and 3 as well as the number of hirings needed to meet production of the new product.
- Describe how employment and demographic trends for a selected state impact CapraTek’s workforce planning.
- Assess elements of CapraTek’s workplace culture that could be developed for it to become an employer of choice. Include at least three elements, and support your answer from readings and other credible sources.
Note: The requirements listed here generally describe proficient performance for each of the required criteria. To earn full points for each criterion, be sure to review the assessment scoring guide for details on what constitutes distinguished performance.
What Students Are Saying About Us.......... Customer ID: 12*** | Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"Honestly, I was afraid to send my paper to you, but splendidwritings.com proved they are a trustworthy service. My essay was done in less than a day, and I received a brilliant piece. I didn’t even believe it was my essay at first 🙂 Great job, thank you!"
.......... Customer ID: 14***| Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
"The company has some nice prices and good content. I ordered a term paper here and got a very good one. I'll keep ordering from this website."